Monday, April 26, 2010

It's Monday again....

0ekend went by too quickly as usual! Lexi & I didn't find much at the Fairbury garage sales Friday night. I found a cute basket (b/c you can never have too many baskets!) and some stick/peel ABC wall stickers that I think I'm going to put up around the dining room. One of my lower scoring areas with this daycare project had to do with the fact that I don't have any posters or pictures up for the kids which is kind of hard to do b/c this is also my family's home, but maybe the ABC's will help to improve that score.

Saturday was my all-day training on taking care of children with Special Needs. It was definitely a very long day, but I think it helped that I could contribute to the conversations that were going on with my own experiences with Kiegan and his CAPD. After lunch, there were different stations set up that let us experience what it was like to have certain special needs. Lexi was set up in one of the offices watching movies and playing on the computer so I went and pulled her out and had her go to the different stations with me. Our first station had us experience what it was like to have zero vision to very little or blurry vision by putting on different goggles. Some of the goggles were completely taped over, some had a bunch of clear tape over them to si


0mulate blurry vision, the pair that I had on only allowed me to see out of the corners. So once you put your goggles on, you had to do three things 1) Pour a glass of water 2) Color a picture in the lines and 3) Read a book. It was very challenging! The second station had us putting 2-3 large marshmallows in our mouth and then trying to ask or answer questions to simulate having a speech issue. I honestly think there was more laughing than anything b/c watching a bunch of adults shove marshmallows in their mouth is just funny. The third station had us wearing gloves that had the fingers all taped together. With the gloves on, we had to 1) Put a puzzle together 2) Put Lego's together and 3) Put beads on a string which was the most challenging!! The final station had us walking with a ball between our ankles and our hands clasped together. We had to go over to a pile of toys all while keeping the ball between our ankles and with our hands still clasped, pick a toy up and carry it over to someone else in our group. It was really a great way to get us all up and moving around! I think the very last hour of the day took the longest.

After training was over, Lexi wanted to spend her birthday money. So we ran to the mall and I was hoping she would find some more shorts & capris, but apparently she is insanely picky!!! "I don't like this material." "The material's too thin." "These are too expensive." GRRRR!!! So then she wanted to go to Claire's to look at their necklaces & bracelets and ended up spending ALL of her birthday money there!! So now she has more bracelets, necklaces, headbands and ponytail holders than she'll ever need.

Sunday I planned on spending the day cleaning and doing laundry, but for whatever reason my energy level was next to nothing. I even took a nap on the couch with Maddie which is something I never do b/c I don't like naps!! Eventually I got myself moving and went to town to get my Walmart shopping done. That seemed to help me get motivated b/c I got some cleaning done and fried up some beer-battered fish for supper. We all then watched the movie The Blind Side - excellent movie - definitely one I want to buy! I assume b/c I took a nap during the day, I had all sorts of energy so I cleaned up the kitchen, picked up the rest of the house and then worked on putting laundry away while everyone was sleeping until about 11:30. I figured I should try to go to bed b/c 5:30 was going to come soon enough.

So now it's Monday and we have our usual trip to Blm. tonight. Lexi was suppose to have her first braces appt. tomorrow afternoon with Dr. Untermann, but his office just called and he's not going to be in the office for whatever reason. So now it's been rescheduled for next Tuesday! Lexi will be disappointed b/c the ding-dong is very excited to get these braces on.....I'm sure that excitement won't last long!

Till next time....

2 comments:

dpflager said...

I see in the Leader that this weekend is Pontiac's all-town garage sales.

Billie Jo Henson said...

Sounds like the training was very good and also fun! We just went to a similar one for work and had to do things like that of course for different things, but it made me see things from someone else's eyes and I needed that :)