Thursday, November 13, 2008

Already a trouble-maker!

Travis and I ended up in OB last night around 9:00 or so. At about 7:45, I started having sudden severe lower back pain. After talking with a close friend who also happens to be a nurse, we decided that we better play it safe and head to the hospital. When we got up to the OB department, the nurses had me pee in a cup to make sure that the back pain wasn't from a urinary tract infection and then they asked me 100 questions and hooked me up to a couple of machines. One was to keep track of the baby's heartbeat and the other was to monitor any contractions I might have been having. Come to find out I was having contractions every 2-3 minutes! The first thing the nurse had me try was drinking 2 large cups of ice water and then emptying my bladder. Sometimes just doing this will make contractions stop, but of course it didn't. She also went ahead and checked me to make sure that I hadn't started dialiting which I haven't. Apparently there is an outer and an inner cervix (?) and my outer cervix is dilated to a 2 which is of no concern and my inner cervix is still completely closed which is good. Finally, they decided to give me a shot of Terbutaline in the back of my arm to try to stop the contractions which didn't work - I was still having them every few minutes! They could give me 3 shots within a 60-minute time span so 20 minutes later she gave me another *awesome* shot in the arm and this seemed to do the trick! We were back home around Midnight or so and today I went ahead and closed the daycare just so I could rest. My back is killing me again and the nurses just think it's par for the course so a heating pad is my new best friend! Our next regular appointment is next Wednesday so hopefully there will be no more excitement between now and then. Lexi said she would pray for me and the baby today - I told her to pray that the baby keeps on cookin' because it's not time for the timer to go off yet!

1 comment:

Miranda Lee Kemp said...

I finally caught up on reading your blog! :) I hope you don't have any more contractions!