Thursday, September 25, 2008

Beware the pox!

As some of you may have heard, we thought Lexi came home from school with the chicken pox last week. She was feeling yucky and had a few spots on her, but after a warm bath (which is suppose to bring the bumps out faster) the spots were gone! Well, yesterday (Wednesday) morning Lexi woke up saying she wasn't feeling well - I just figured she wanted a day home from school b/c her brother was home sick on Tuesday so I convinced her to go to school anyway. After she got off the bus that afternoon, she looked terrible and was running a low grade fever. She went up to her room to lay down for awhile and eventually the vomiting started. She slept through the night and I kept her home and in her room today. WELL....she came downstairs around 3:00 this afternoon saying that she was starting to feel really yucky again and she showed me this spot on her wrist. It looked kind of like a blister/pimple type of a thing and then I noticed that she had more of the same spots on her neck, cheeks and even in her ear and on the roof of her mouth. I took her temperature and it was 103 so I pretty much knew that she officially had the chicken pox! I called the doctor anyway just because I wasn't 100% sure what chicken pox looked like and she has an appointment tomorrow morning, but the nurse said that if her temperature doesn't go down (we have to alternate Tylenol and Motrin) or if she gets more spots in her mouth then I have to take her to the ER. I guess because she already has some in her ears and mouth then they're already going internal and that can cause problems such as her throat closing up so she can't eat, drink or swallow. Yikes! I told Kiegan to give her a great big hug when he got home from school - I'm hoping he gets them too so that they'll get a natural immunity to them (I'm not one that goes for that chicken pox vaccination stuff). I'm sure the next week or so will not be the funnest! If any of you have kids that you want to get the chicken pox, just bring them on over and Lexi can give them a great big hug. :o) I did have one of my daycare mom's that wanted her kids to be all around Lexi before she took them home b/c she wants them to get it. I also have other daycare families that won't be bringing their little ones until I give them the all clear sign which is fine - I told them all it's however they want to handle it.

So that's our update for now! Off to bed!!

1 comment:

Miranda Lee Kemp said...

Give Lexi a hug for me! I have never had them and I still don't want them!!!