Thursday, February 5, 2009

Looong Update!

I am super sorry that it's been so long since my last update! The days just get away from me sometimes - not that I've got a lot going on or anything, right? :o) So anyway, this update may skip around a bit - do your best to follow along!
Patrick turned the big 0-7 last month! We had family over for his birthday to celebrate it with him. He finally has his own Nintendo DS and I think he received enough games to last him awhile! Seeing him plopped on the couch playing his DS almost makes me wonder if he's more of a "game head" than Kiegan is which I didn't think was possible.
Lexi has started volleyball and has her first game coming up next week. She seems to be enjoying all of the practices so hopefully she enjoys the competition of the games as well! Her Girl Scout Cookie sales ended on Monday and she sold an even 200 boxes of cookies - thanks to everyone that bought!!
Kiegan has his last basketball game on Saturday morning. He's so fun to watch because Lord knows he's no Michael Jordan, but he is having more fun than anybody else out there. It doesn't matter how many baskets he misses or rebounds he fumbles, he has the biggest smile on his face the entire time! We went and bought him a St. Mary's Saints duffel bag to carry his basketball gear in and he thinks that's just the coolest. He said that he's going to take it to school when he starts to play basketball for The Saints so it's awesome to hear that he plans to keep on playing. I had a meeting Wednesday afternoon with Kiegan's special needs group of teachers. I haven't talked much about this on here because none of us have been exactly sure what's causing Kiegan to struggle so much, but Kiegan has been in special speech groups since he turned 3 and unfortunately his speech issues have affected his ability to learn. They did a BUNCH of testing on him and thankfully those tests have shown that he doesn't have a learning disability - he simply needs to learn differently than his peers and work harder to learn. There's also a disorder that we are going to be looking further into with the help of people at ISU called Auditory Processing Disorder or APD - for more information on that check out: http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/ears/central_auditory.html. Kiegan seems to show a lot of the signs of possibly having this particular disorder. I'll keep you updated as we learn more!
Miss Maddie is doing fantastic as usual!! She is the sweetest little baby and has the best little personality - when she's awake that is. Yeah - she still sleeps constantly, but is also still sleeping great at night. She's in bed for the night around 9-9:30 and then wakes up one time between 3-3:30 to nurse and is then back to sleep for another few hours. What also hit me this morning is that on most nights when I lay her down in her little bed, she's actually still awake and she'll just lay there making her little noises until she finally falls asleep! I had been worried that I was holding her too much (because she is just so very cuddly to hold) and that she was maybe a bit spoiled, but this girl is an angel and we just couldn't ask her to be any better. She must really be growing during all of her sleeping though! She wears 3 months clothes pretty much all the time now, but her toes are starting to curl because she's so darn long! So the other night I pulled out a 3-6 month outfit just to see how far off her body was from filling it out and sure enough - her legs are long enough to fit, but she has a bit more filling out to do to fit that size perfectly. So I think we may be looking for 3 month outfits that don't have the footies on them so the poor girl doesn't have gimped up toes. On a poopier note - my mom and I went to a visitation last week in Minier. It was a small family visitation and of course Maddie started out sleeping, but then she decided to wake up while the priest was talking. Now, Maddie makes a lot of grunting noises when she moves and stretches around and she's very loud when she does this. So of course she was doing this which was enough noise by itself, but then guess what she started doing? Filling her diaper VERY LOUDLY!!! All of us on our side of the church were trying to control our laughter during all of this which was a very long and loud process. My mom was holding her at the time and her cousin who was sitting in the pew behind her was leaning forward and saying things to make it sound like it was my mom not controlling her bowels which got us all laughing even harder. My cousin, Jill, who was sitting behind me had tears rolling down her face from laughing so hard and I was about a mess sitting right next to my mom & Maddie. Thankfully, the priest finally finished up and I was able to take Maddie to change her and oh my Lord - she had mustard poop all the way up the front and all the way up the back of her!! And wouldn't you know, I had her in the cutest darn outfit too!! (Pics of it are below) Now, keep in mind that Lexi & Kiegan are 9 and almost 11 so it's been quite a while since I've traveled with baby in tow so apparently I also forgot about always bringing an extra outfit in case such things were to happen. Now the town of Minier is very small and certainly doesn't have a Walmart or any other store that would have baby clothes, but thankfully my cousin, Jill, brought Maddie's gift with her and it had two outfits in it!! My biggest dilemma was how the heck I was going to get the onesie off of her without smearing the poop all throughout her hair, but somehow I managed. Oh it was an experience....needless to say, I have an outfit that just stays in the diaper bag now! On a more fun note -she is starting to smile at us more now! And now that her umbilical cord has fallen off, she's enjoying bathtime much more until it's time to take her out of the warm water - watch out! She gets MAD!! The comments from people about who she looks like are about 50/50 - some people think she looks a lot like me and others think she looks a lot like Travis. Personally, I see a lot of Travis in her. She has broke out with some baby acne on her face and chest - sometimes it's worse than others, but from what I've read she'll probably have it off and on for 4-6 months. Yuck! I think I'm bothered by it more than she is though. :o)
My daycare opened back up this week and I don't think I could have asked it to go any smoother! The kids have all been fantastic with Maddie and I can tell that now she's sort of "old news" to most of them. :o) I have also had a lot of my parents tell me how happy they are to have their little ones coming back to my daycare (especially the ones that were unhappy with the temporary sitter they had while I was closed). And two of my parents have told me how much better of a mood their children have been in since they've been coming back. That makes me feel good! I have been trying to create my own curriculum to use with the children instead of buying it over the internet, but what I'm finding is that I will probably spend more in printer ink cartridges and printer paper than I was buying it already prepared through the internet. So who knows what I'll do! It's nice to have my energy back though and to be able to enjoy the kids again.
Next month we are all going to Grand Bear Lodge again! This is Grandma Joanne's big Christmas present to her grandkids. She has reserved a cabin for us and I'm sure most of the time will be spent at the indoor water park and indoor amusement park. They had such a great time when we were there a couple of years ago that I'm sure they'll love it just as much this year!
I guess that's all for now - I'll try to do a better job at posting updates!!**************************************************************
I started writing this post on Wednesday so you can see how well it's been working out for me! I figure I might as well add our weekend update to it. We really didn't have a whole lot going on which was nice for a change! Kiegan had his last basketball game Saturday morning where he basically attempted to "tackle" someone on the other team. I have to admit that the other team played really rough - throwing elbows and all so maybe he just wanted to give them a taste of their own medicine? The high school girl that was the referee for this game was irritating me to no end though. She was way too concerned about whether or not the players had their toes behind the line when they were passing the ball into play and not at all concerned about the rough way the other team was playing. If I wanted to be one of "those" parents, I could have certainly shared a few words with her but I held myself back!

I finally decided to pull out all of Maddie's 0-3 month clothes because she can't fit into any of them and the girl's only 5 1/2 weeks old! In fact, I put a pair of 3-6 month jammies on her last night just to show Daddy because the front of them said "Daddy's Princess" (that's what he calls her) but they fit her perfectly so that's what she slept in. She also seems to have Daddy's appetite and my poor body can't seem to keep up with her. I shouldn't be too surprised because Kiegan was only a few ounces bigger than her when he was born and I wasn't able to nurse him as long as I would have like either. I feel bad for her because she gets so very frustrated with me, but my body is just not producing enough milk to satisfy her so she's been getting more and more formula which I know isn't the worst thing in the world, but it's not what I had planned! I think she also has her first cold - I've been having to use the snot sucker on her and she certainly doesn't enjoy it at all! During the day she doesn't seem too bad, but once night rolls around and first thing in the morning she's been sneezing and sneezing and sounding rather congested. So we may be calling the doctor soon!

Ok - now I think I'm done. :o)

Yeah - I think Kiegan is ok that he has a little sister and not another little brother like he had hoped. :o) I can't remember if I put on here what his reaction was when we told him that we were having a girl..."Can you put a penis on her?" Ummmm.....no.
My big sister!!

Big brother#2!!

I do cry every now and then....


But I still like to sleep a lot....


And you're taking my picture again because why?!

The infamous poopy outfit! See how cute it is?! Thankfully it all washed out!

I'm so smart that I can already hold my own bottle! ;o)

These are my 3-6 month PJ's that say "Daddy's Princess"! My diaper takes up most of the room in my pants....

A close-up of me and my first pimples. :o(

2 comments:

The Meier Family said...

Too cute, I loved the poopie story, I busted out laughing at work! I remember those days oh to well ;o)

Miranda Lee Kemp said...

You are hilarious! I am glad I wasn't with you when the priest was talking. I would have probably snorted! hahahaha